
I have found a new obsession, and her name is Ree Drummond (aka The Pioneer Woman). Quick--grab a cup of coffee, go to her website (link here), and spend some time perusing her confessions, recipes, and photographs. Who knows...you may fall in love too.
If you go to her website for no other reason, you must go to check out her recipe for The Best Chocolate Sheet Cake, Ever. It is unbelievable, and I have made it FOUR times in the last TWO weeks!!!! Here are the reasons why I love this recipe:
-It's super easy and not insanely time-consuming.
-Your friends will start calling you Betty (as in Crocker).
-It is easily one of the best cakes I've ever tasted in my life!
Warning: It is physically impossible to eat one piece. Go ahead and put on your stretchy pants now because this recipe ain't no joke. Four sticks of butter? Check. Over a pound of sugar? Check. Stick-to-your-ribs amazing? Absolutely.
Recipe for The Best Chocolate Sheet Cake. Ever.Ingredients
- FOR THE CAKE:
- 2 cups Flour
- 2 cups Sugar
- ¼ teaspoons Salt
- 4 Tablespoons (heaping) Cocoa
- 2 sticks Butter
- 1 cup Boiling Water
- ½ cups Buttermilk
- 2 whole Beaten Eggs
- 1 teaspoon Baking Soda
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla
- _____
- FOR FROSTING:
- ½ cups Finely Chopped Pecans
- 1-¾ stick Butter
- 4 Tablespoons (heaping) Cocoa
- 6 Tablespoons Milk
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla
- 1 pound (minus 1/2 Cup) Powdered Sugar
Preparation Instructions
In a mixing bowl, combine flour, sugar, and salt.In a saucepan, melt butter. Add cocoa. Stir together.
Add boiling water, allow mixture to boil for 30 seconds, then turn off heat. Pour over flour mixture, and stir lightly to cool.
In a measuring cup, pour the buttermilk and add beaten eggs, baking soda, and vanilla. Stir buttermilk mixture into butter/chocolate mixture. Pour into sheet cake pan and bake at 350-degrees for 20 minutes.
While cake is baking, make the icing. Chop pecans finely. Melt butter in a saucepan. Add cocoa, stir to combine, then turn off heat. Add the milk, vanilla, and powdered sugar. Stir together. Add the pecans, stir together, and pour over warm cake.
Cut into squares, eat, and totally wig out over the fact that you’ve just made the best chocolate sheet cake. Ever.
In related news, here are some cakes that I have designed recently:
*me.too.mee.too.me.too*
ReplyDeleteThat's exactly what i started squealing as soon as your page opened. It was so startling that it sent my husband running in to check on me... and he told me to watch it- since the bebe was sleeping.
Oh dear me! Oh dear Ree... :)
Now, off to let the butter soften. :)
Wow, Meg! I am so impressed! Those cakes look fabulous! And I took your advice and made the pioneer woman's cake this week for comm. group, & I will testify that it was delicious & everyone enjoyed it! Thanks!
ReplyDeleteSeriously! you made those cakes! they look awesome!
ReplyDeleteWho needs the pioneer woman when we have Megan Wall! :)
great job!
Confession....I took 3 pieces of the chocolate cake the night of Brad and Tori's birthday and I had two of them eaten before I even showed the plate to Jake.
ReplyDeleteI feel much better now that I got that off my chest!